keskiviikko 30. joulukuuta 2015

The dilemma of absorbing material inside the cabinet..

I've been listening my achievements for some time now. I've also experimented with the stuffing and especially the amount of it. Pretty stressful, hah? Anyway, it seems the less the better. Sound will become more alive and resonant, more natural, more balanced and more..smooth :).

The source of these cabs suggested to go with 1-2" polyester aka Dacron, which can be found for example from pillows or straight from fabric stores. That's because the original cabs were lined with the stuff called Kimsul and that's pretty hard to source nowadays. Well, I googled a bit and found, that this material is actually a thin crepe paper which were used as insulation in an old houses. Not anymore though, but it could be found being made for entirely different purpose - as electrical insulation. Made by 100% wood pulp. So off went the Dacron polyester or what was left at the moment haha. But wait, I had no intention to buy 800 kgs of this crepe kraft paper from Alibaba. Instead, I found some very thin crepe paper from my own household. Made an eight layer construction with that, about 30x30 cm and installed that (only) on a back wall just behind the driver as the Japanese (Western Sound Inc.) used to do with their original WE and Altec drivers. Now I'm listening to this version and it's the best so far. So fascinating.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti