maanantai 7. joulukuuta 2015

JE Labs..WE..Altec..Line Magnetic..

When I purchased vintage Stephen Trusonic 80FR drivers a few years ago, I studied different box alternatives and read very carefully Joseph Esmilla's blog. Very interesting blog and recommend reading if vintage audio, tube amps, old turntables, music etc. are of your interest. From there I also found plans for building simple open baffles for suitable drivers. I figured you can't lose much trying those baffles. So I built them - all in all, a very easy and rewarding project. FR80s really sang at those baffles. I also learned a lot and got used to a different way of sound reproduction. Wow!

At that time, when reading the very same blog, I also got interested in other vintage drivers, mostly Altec, WE..you name it. Along with those legends Goodmans, some exotic japanese drivers and others got my attention too. Exciting stuff! Unfortunately - some of those have become very rare and - terribly expensive to acquire for a regular guy like me :). Well, not all of them..I found original Altec 604Cs fitted in quite massive, over 200 litre cabs. I bought them! Highly educational and for sure - what a huge fun I had with those drivers.

Back to LM755As which I recently acquired. I can't afford a pair of original WE755As. Furthermore, I have never heard original ones either and to be honest, as long as LM keeps producing its fantastic remakes for a price almost every common man can afford, I don't care. The feel and fit'n'finish of these drivers are something spectacular. So is the sound. Spec says: 70 - 13000 Hz..one should never ever judge speaker by its specs..so back to JE's blog and the story about WE/Altec 755As and other variants. To make this story short, before I rush into bigger br cabs with the LM755As, I probably should try and build these 2 cf sealed cabs first..also suggested by Joseph himself after a brief chat on Instagram. Thanks, Joseph!


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti